Donate to -

JustGiving donation link for: The Rossendale and Pendle Mountain Rescue Team

JustGiving donation link for:

The Children's Trust

Friday 21 January 2011

Week 3 - full 5 days adding 130miles leaves 5209

My first full 5 days of the year and I was feeling it pretty bad, strangely on Thursday night it was pretty tight at the back of my legs but after i had spun up the hill and past Bury it all felt fine. I seemed to cruise up the last climb just fine even over taking 3 guys that seemed to be hardly moving. I don't get why people ride so slowly, surely it's dangerous to go that slowly on the roads and besides, I'd never get anywhere!

Today was a lovely clear day and the mornings are getting light now. To have such clear visibility was a welcome relief after the foggy mist covering glasses weather returned mid week. It's also been damn cold again but with good clothing that has been fine.

*****************************************

From: Barker, Julian
Sent: 20 January 2011 14:48
To: Barker, Julian
Subject: Commuter Challenge 2011 - 5555 miles

Dear all,
I am the office manager at the CSPB office in Manchester and have started a sponsored bike ride for the Credit Suisse charity of the year, The Children's Trust, Tadworth http://www.thechildrenstrust.org.uk/ and my local Mountain Rescue Team http://www.rpmrt.org.uk/

My target is to complete 5555 miles which is the equivalent of riding from London to Los Angeles. Unfortunately I wont be arriving on Rodeo Drive as all these miles will be clocked up by commuting to work in Manchester.

FYI - It's a daily ride of 26miles, a daily climb of 411meters, (One Canada Square is 235meters) and my bike weighs 53lbs (road bikes are <20lbs). I have already had ice form on my glasses so it should be a fun year!

Please support and encourage me by donating via

The Children's Trust, Tadworth http://www.justgiving.com/5555milesin2011b
The Rossendale and Pendle Mountain Rescue Team http://www.justgiving.com/5555milesin2011a

Only 5248 miles to go!

Thank you sincerely,

Julian Barker
Office Manager
UK & Eire Private Banking
E-mail: julian.barker@credit-suisse.com

Credit Suisse (UK) Limited
9th Floor, 82 King Street
Manchester, M2 4WQ
Tel: +44 (0)161 236 7288
www.credit-suisse.com

*****************************************

I posted out my invite for sponsorship at work yesterday which was great to get done and I have been asked to be in the CS newsletter which should be good for my sponsorship levels. I need to get Rach to take a photo of me in the morning to add a bit of colour to the article. Thank you to Simon Ibbitson for being the first to donate as well. I am sure he will never read this, but thanks, my local Mountain Rescue Team will be very grateful.

So another 130 miles and that brings my remaining distance to 5209.

No comments:

Post a Comment