Donate to -

JustGiving donation link for: The Rossendale and Pendle Mountain Rescue Team

JustGiving donation link for:

The Children's Trust

Friday 10 June 2011

Cadence & Heart Rate are king

Seems like ages since I blogged - Thanks to Mark I now have a heart monitor, I have been using it for 3 days and today was my first day with it on my handlebars.

Heart monitor
178bpm max, weather and traffic effects my speed so much that it can get quite annoying. If I accept these two aspects and rather than use speed as a measure of my activity and use cadence and heart bpm as a way of measuring myself. I think I have more control over the activity and I think will mean i am less annoyed by the weather or traffic.
I need to do a full week but i seemed to max out at 178 this morning and had been able to keep it up over 160 for pretty much the duration of the 50 mins in and 55 back yesterday. Tonight though i couldn't do this at all though and really had to fight to get it up to 168 just for a few seconds. It is Friday tonight though. More use is needed for me to understand it better.

We went camping near Coed LLandegla with Kel, Jon, Aim and Dave and took the girls in the trailer on the blue route. They were really thrown about on the rough sections but loved it and when we finished they seemed to be really excited. I was able to over take a few people on the climb which was nice, ( the girls slept on the way up) of course I don't know if they had already done the loop 10 times that day but it felt good anyway. After that we need to get them helmets though!

I was leading a shaven legged girl on a little bike this morning and he said when we stopped at the lights he caught me up and said 'How do you make something so heavy go so fast'. Which made me feel really good. I laughed and just said that I liked the reliability. It is a real boost when people say that sort of thing.

Over the last few weeks My bottom bracket was getting more and more wobbly so i ordered some new bearings and replaced them. Fantastic - some real saving will be made there over the coming years. It seems that I am getting through my bearing in a few months! It's nice to be getting all the tools though and actually this challenge is giving me that. I brought a new larger adjustable spanner, and longer 8mm hex key (formally called an Alan Key).

I measured a new top speed of 36.8mph

All is going well, I have now completed XXXXmiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment